More Tune Method Talk...

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: More Tune Method Talk...

Post by Hermann »

A long time ago I tested the Bals plugs with standard cold device connectors on the other end, including C15 from Furutech, as well as with various cables. Also the Belden that he tested in another article. None of them surpassed the simple Naim power cable or Fredrik's recommended one.

Incidentally, the use of wire end ferrules for flexible cables in the mains area is mandatory in Germany, soldering or just twisting the wires is prohibited.

In fact, I used to use soldering on the screw connections of the individual wires in plugs, even when end ferrules were used. The effect was very marginal to non-existent, at least to my ears in earlier setups.

Whether you take Mr. Punter seriously or not is something everyone has to decide for themselves. My experience in the randomly read articles does not match his. I have tested many things with Lapp cables in particular and a thick Ölflex Lapp cable does not necessarily sound fat. Two of them supply the JBL 305 and show a quiet and clean sound.

It would indeed be a technological achievement if measurement methods could find parameters that could comprehensibly express certain or desired impressions of sound in numbers.
20240611_080701.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2024-06-09 11:43 Thanks to everyone. I was a little sure that the soldered Deltrons would be recognized. A are the Deltrons.

It should be noted that the screwed banana plugs are available per set (4 pieces) for EUR 6.90. See link below. They are also available as rhodium-plated OFC copper.

The torque for securing the cable was quite low, but I don't trust them to be able to apply any more pressure. Soldering these additionally is another option and I will do that later.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/banana-p ... 17373.html
My favorites are the original Naim right-angled, twin loudspeaker plugs.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2024-06-11 07:56 Incidentally, the use of wire end ferrules for flexible cables in the mains area is mandatory in Germany, soldering or just twisting the wires is prohibited.
You can use the Neutrik PowerCon series without ferrules.
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I don't know to what extent this belongs here, but:

VDE 0113 - EN 60204-1:2006/AC:2010 Section 13.3.1
(VDE - Association of German Electrical Engineers)

If devices or terminals do not have suitable connection options for multi-wire conductors, the conductor ends must be fitted with wire end ferrules or similar. Solder must not be used for these purposes.
Just to be a bit pedantic...

The controversial point is the first sentence. What are suitable connection options? If in doubt, always use end ferrules for connections with flexible power in mains operation. High currents do not necessarily flow to the power amplifiers, as measured by electric stoves, for example. However, if it were to be proven in the event of an accident that flexible ends are not crimped, it might be difficult to make claims to insurance companies. In fact, safety in this area is more important to me than a slightly better sound.

Without a doubt, the question remains as to which end ferrules should be used. Pure copper is far too soft to ensure a firm fit in this area. It is certainly an alloy that allows mechanically strong connections. Nevertheless, I will soon look at different types and will continue to experiment with them.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

VDE 0113 - EN 60204-1:2006/AC:2010 Section 13.3.1
(VDE - Association of German Electrical Engineers)

If devices or terminals do not have suitable connection options for multi-wire conductors, the conductor ends must be fitted with wire end ferrules or similar. Solder must not be used for these purposes.
The Neutriks have suitable connection options for multi-wire conductors.
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Back to connecting speaker cables:
Is there any consensus regarding the performance of Neutrik Speakon?
Matt

FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2024-06-11 04:50 Even the BBC (who liked to understand their designs from a scientific perspective) said that “Where theory and practice disagree, then theory has always been assumed to be wrong”
The Wayne Kerr state of the art gear used by Gene was made by the Wayne Kerr company in England, started by two BBC engineers. When I studied scientific methodology at university comments by the BBC weren't on the syllabus.

Linn was always populated (at the senior levels) by engineering graduates. Ivor was well qualified as is Gilad. The high level personnel at Linn these days are qualified in Acoustic Engineering (like KEF, JBL etc.). Let's be clear, engineering is applied science.

Without science this hobby of enjoying recorded music playback wouldn't exist or continue to improve.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

When I want to determine musical quality, a single chord from a guitar is often enough. If it sounds in tune, it's good. And I have never heard a system that was optimized for pitch correctness sounding unclear in the rhythm, or in need for any room correction programs.